Ferdinand Boberg (1860-1946) was one of the most prominent Swedish architects, responsible for designing some of Sweden’s most innovative buildings at around the turn of the century. With his wife, the artist Anna Scholander, he travelled extensively. The couple visited Italy several times with crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and his wife Louise. Boberg is also known for his exceptional graphic production. A collection of sketches, drawings and watercolours showing Italian architectural monuments was published in 1937 in the volume Italienska studier to provide financial support for the library of the Swedish Institute of Classical Studies in Rome. The original drawings and watercolours were donated by the artist to the Swedish Institute. A collection of 10 watercolours of 1939, reproducing the paintings from the tombs of Tarquinia and commissioned by Axel Boëthius, director of the Swedish Institute, were donated on the occasion of the inauguration of the new building in via Omero in 1940.